Prayer is a powerful tool for spiritual growth and communication with God. It is a way to express our gratitude, ask for help, and seek guidance in our daily lives. However, sometimes we may find ourselves struggling with our prayer life. Perhaps our prayers are not being answered, or we are unsure how to approach God. In times like these, the Set Aside Prayer can be a helpful guide to humility and surrender in prayer.
What is the Set Aside Prayer?
The Set Aside Prayer is a simple but powerful prayer that can help us let go of our thoughts and desires to be more open to God’s will. It goes like this:
“God, please help me set aside everything I think I know about [this situation/person/relationship] so I may have an open mind and a new experience. Please help me see the truth about [this situation/person/relationship]. Amen.”
This prayer can be used in many different situations. For example, if we struggle with a difficult relationship, we can pray to set aside our judgments and biases to see the other person more clearly. Or if we are facing a challenging decision, we can ask God to help us let go of our preconceived ideas and be open to new possibilities.
Why is the Set Aside Prayer Important?
The Set Aside Prayer is important because it helps us practice humility and surrender in our prayer life. Humility is recognizing that we do not have all the answers and that there may be perspectives or solutions we have not considered. Surrender is letting go of our will and trust in God’s plan for our lives.
When we pray the Set Aside Prayer, we acknowledge that our understanding may be limited and that we need God’s help to see things more clearly. We are also surrendering our own desires and expectations and trusting that God’s will is better than our own. This can be difficult, especially if we are used to being in control or having strong opinions about a particular situation. But it is also liberating, as it frees us from the burden of trying to figure everything out on our own.
How to Use the Set Aside Prayer in Your Prayer Life
If you are struggling with your prayer life or feel stuck in a particular situation, the Set Aside Prayer can be a helpful tool to guide your prayers. Here are some steps you can take to use the Set Aside Prayer in your prayer life:
- Identify the situation or relationship you want to pray about. This could be a specific person, a challenging decision, or a difficult situation you are facing.
- Ask God to help you set aside everything you think you know about this situation or person. This may include your own biases, judgments, or preconceived ideas.
- Ask God to help you have an open mind and a new experience. This means being willing to consider new perspectives or solutions that you may not have thought of before.
- Ask God to help you see the truth about this situation or person. This means seeing things as they really are rather than how you wish they were or how you perceive them.
- Trust in God’s will for your life. Remember that God’s plan is greater than our own and that he has a purpose for everything that happens in our lives.
By following these steps, you can use the Set Aside Prayer to cultivate a spirit of humility and surrender in your prayer life. You may not always get the answers you want or expect, but you can trust that God is leading you in the right direction.
Prayer is a powerful tool for spiritual growth and communication with God. However, sometimes we may struggle.